Exciting news! The Hippodrome’s new season trailer has been released this month, packed with singing, dancing and spectacle galore! Upcoming shows this Summer will include:
- Sutra, a new experimental physical theatre collaboration featuring a group of Buddhist monks
- An absolutely fabulous-looking production of High Society (I’m super looking forward to this!)
- Stand-up comedy from Sean Lock
- A return to the Hippodrome by West-End musical comedy favourite Hairspray
- Enchanting performances of Coppélia and Giselle by the Birmingham Royal Ballet
- Welsh National Opera productions of Madame Butterfly, Lohengrin, and Wagner Dream, an original piece by Jonathan Harvey about the dying Wagner’s urge to write his last opera about Buddhism (potentially chiming in well with the upcoming production of Sutra)
- And the one you’ve probably been waiting for: Disney’s stage musical spectacular, The Lion King.
Towards the end of the year, you’ll also be able to see the likes of War Horse, lots more of the Birmingham Royal Ballet in The Sleeping Beauty, The Nutcracker and ‘Still Life’ at The Penguin Café, and a series of new operas about the Tudors from the WNO, as well as this year’s Christmas pantomime, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
For more information about upcoming shows, you can check out the new brochure here.
As if all of that wasn’t exciting enough, you can also take part in loads of other special events at the Hippodrome, including backstage tours, touch tours, pre- and post-show talks and WNO Extra Events, 30-minute talks that help to introduce each opera, and are fantastic for newcomers to the opera experience.
Next month, to celebrate its production of High Society, the Hippodrome will be teaming up with The Electric Cinema for
a night of Hollywood glamour with dinner, wine, and a screening of the 1956 High Society film. There’ll also be a special Sunday Night at the Birmingham Hippodrome event on the 12th to commemorate the life of the late Ian Sandy, featuring a whole host of showbiz personalities, from Brian Conley to Basil Brush. In July, there’ll be an Open Art Surgery event with Jonzi D, Breakin’ Convention’s brilliant Artistic Director.
Finally, to coincide with the new season launch, the official Birmingham Hippodrome blog is also sporting a new look. Check in regularly for important updates from Ben Wooldridge.
What are you waiting for?